PRH Education has collaborated with renowned literacy expert Laura Robb to develop Independent Reading Libraries for grades PreK – 8. Part of the PRH Education Classroom Libraries portfolio, these new Independent Reading Libraries are comprised of 350 fiction and nonfiction titles drawn from the award-winning, beloved, and groundbreaking books published across Penguin Random House.
The PRH Education Independent Reading Libraries offer students access to classic and contemporary authentic texts in print collections, and most of the titles are also available à la carte in various eBook formats. These inclusive and diverse libraries are a student’s passport to entering and actively participating in a global society with the empathy, compassion, and knowledge it takes to become the problem solvers the world needs.
Each PRH Education Independent Reading Library includes a comprehensive Educator Handbook written by Laura Robb. Using research-based practices and decades of classroom experience, the Handbook provides educators with thoughtful and practical ways to help students:
- Strengthen reading stamina—the ability to focus on reading for 20-minutes to one hour
- Develop an understanding of how genres work and nurtures agency and literary tastes
- Increase background knowledge and vocabulary as well as creates empathy and compassion for others
- Transfer a passion for reading to the home with eBooks Classroom Libraries and develop the reading volume students need to become proficient and advanced readers
- Organize books to easily find authors, genres, and topics that interest them as well as how to self-select “good fit” books that they can and want to read