The Signet Classics Scholarship Essay Contest, established in 1996, is open to qualifying high school juniors and seniors. In 2018-2019, students were asked to respond to questions about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
Click through to read the winning essays of the five Grand Prize Winners of the Twenty-Third Annual Signet Classics Scholarship Essay Contest:
- Samuel Freiberger – Samuel completed 12th grade at Cathedral School, Natchez, MS.
- Elijah Holton – Elijah is in the 12th grade at San Luis Obispo High School, San Luis Obispo, CA.
- Victoria Lu – Victoria is in the 12th grade at South Side High School, Rockville Centre, NY.
- Tatum McKenna – Tatum completed the 12th grade as a homeschool student in Houston, TX.
- Kennon Walton – Kennon is in the 12th grade at University School, Hunting Valley, OH.
The more recently established Penguin Classics Essay Contest is open to qualifying high school freshmen and sophomores. In 2018-2019, students were asked to respond to questions about The Crucible by Arthur Miller.
Click through to read the winning essays of the five Grand Prize Winners of the Third Annual Penguin Classics Scholarship Essay Contest:
- Charlotte Brown – Charlotte is in the 11th grade at Wasilla High School in Wasilla, AK.
- Molly Cline – Molly is an 11th grade home-schooled student in Stone Mountain, GA.
- Micah Cook – Micah is in the 11th grade at Calvary Christian High School in Clearwater, FL.
- Grace Cuddihy – Grace is in the 10th grade at Avenues in New York, NY.
- Anya Gorgas – Anya is in the 10th grade at Hudson High School in Hudson, FL.
Congratulations to all winning ten students for their hard work—Penguin Random House Education is proud to support their academic success and the schools and teachers who make that success possible. Each winner has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship and a Signet Classics or a Penguin Classics Deluxe Library for their school or local public library.
We’re already looking forward to the 2019-2020 contests. English teachers are welcome to sponsor two students in each contest. Students entering the Signet Classics Scholarship Essay Contest (11th and 12th graders) will read Wuthering Heights , and students entering the Penguin Classics Scholarship Essay Contest will read Ceremony .
For the complete rules and instructions on how to enter the 2019-2020 contests, visit the pages below. Please take a moment to visit our FAQ pages for each contest, and reach out to EssayContest@PenguinRandomHouse.com with any questions.